Himalayan Salt Lamps and Candle Holders are popular among consumers searching for unique home decor designs with hidden healing properties. But what about individuals who are not looking to add to their living spaces? Is there an alternative means through which one can experience the beneficial effects of genuine Himalayan salt?
The answer? Yes! There are actually multiple options. One of the most popular options is perhaps also the most relaxing product of them all: Himalayan Bath Salt. These specialized, trace minerals are perfect for use in healing salt baths, which have a long and rich history.
The history of the salt bath
Pharmacological experts began prescribing salt baths thousands of years ago. In fact, the treatment has roots in an ancient Chinese medical text published in 2700 B.C. Greek and Roman healers later followed in the footsteps of their eastern neighbors, advising patients suffering from numerous maladies to bathe in warm salted water. However, it was Polish physician Feliks Boczkowski who eventually brought this unusual yet effective remedy to the mainstream.
During the early 1830s, Boczkowski came across medical survey data that seemed to suggest that miners working in Eastern European salt quarries actually benefited from prolonged exposure to the mineral content. These individuals rarely suffered from respiratory issues and often boasted healthier-than-normal skin. Boczkowski chose to capitalize on these findings and started the first public salt bath in 1839.
In the decades since Boczkowski opened his facility, the salt bath has become an established spa treatment. There is even an entire branch of alternative wellness, called halotherapy, devoted to salt-based remedies.
The benefits of the salt bath
So, why have salt baths — and, in particular, Himalayan salt baths — become such a dominant therapeutic force? In short, they offer significant health benefits. Himalayan salt baths can be used to treat a long list of ailments, including:
- Skin inflammation: This is perhaps the most popular target among habitual salt bathers - and for good reason. People have been using salt baths to treat serious skin conditions such as eczema, dermatitis and psoriasis for centuries. The treatment is especially effective for those with eczema, as salt baths not only reduce inflammation by washing away irritants, but also reduce pain associated with bathing in general.
- Dry or itchy skin: Of course, salt baths can be used to address more minor skin issues, including dryness and itchiness.
- Muscle pain: Soaking in a warm tub with Himalayan Bath Salt can mitigate muscle inflammation and tension, thereby reducing related aches and pains.
- Arthritis: People dealing with arthritis can address joint-related pain by soaking in warm salted water.
- Migraines: Himalayan salt baths can reduce pain from dehydration-caused migraine headaches, meaning fewer days with major head discomfort.
- Sleep issues: Looking to get a good night’s sleep? Unwind with a bath soak using Himalayan salt rocks, which have shown to help many individuals doze off with greater ease.
These wellness benefits that accompany salt baths are undeniable. However, the effectiveness of this unique treatment often hinges on the quality of the salt used.
Using Himalayan Bath Salt
Using Himalayan Bath Salt requires some preparation. First off, the temperature of the bath water should be 97 degrees Fahrenheit and remain there throughout the duration of the soak. Additionally, there should be 1.2 ounces of Himalayan Bath Salt for every gallon of water used. A word of caution: Individuals with poor circulatory systems should consult their doctors before bathing with Himalayan Sea Salt, as the mineral has a significant impact on blood flow.
Selecting the right bath salt
There are countless bath salt products on the market. That said, few of these offerings can match the therapeutic power genuine Himalayan Bath Salt.
Here at Himalayan Salt Shop, we offer quick-dissolving granulated Himalayan Bath Salt that is ideal for soaking. We also have foot detoxification blocks made of Himalayan rock salt - the perfect accessory for salt bathing.